Police Stations (Amherst)
From the Collection of Victoria Police Museum Mezzanine Level World Trade Centre Siddeley Street Docklands Victoria
- 1 photo
- police stations; amherst police station
- Amherst, a former gold rush town, is located 13 kilometres south-west of Avoca on the Pyrenees Highway in the Pyrenees Shire in Victoria, Australia. It is 183 kilometres north west of Melbourne.
The police station, in Camp Street, opened in 1853 and was originally in the District of Castlemaine. In 1857 it came under the District of Avoca, in 1858 the District of Carisbrook, in 1859 the District of Avoca, in 1866 the District of Maryborough, in 1879 the South Western District, and Central District in 1883. The station closed on 8 August 1892. In 1861 the station was staffed by 1 Mounted Constable, 1 Foot Senior Constable and 2 Foot Constables.
Amherst "Outstation" opened in 1854 and was part of the Avoca District until it closed in 1856
An outstation was opened in 1854 and closed in 1856
- 11 Nov 2019 at 10:31AM