Apollo Bay is a coastal town in southwestern Victoria. It is situated on the eastern side of Cape Otway, along the edge of the Barham River and on the Great Ocean Road, in the Colac Otway Shire.
The original township was surveyed in 1853 and named Middleton. In 1881 the town was renamed Krambruk which was changed to Apollo Bay in 1898. The Krambruk Police Station was opened on 7 March 1888 in the Southern District on land opposite the site of the current Mechanics' Institute and changed its name to the Apollo Bay Police Station on 1 September 1990. It came under the Barwon District in 1948 and "Lima" Western District from 4 March 1990.
In 1930 the police station was located to 29 Nelson Street. It was a seven-roomed weather-board dwelling on three-quarters of an acre of land. It consisted of six rooms of pine, lined and painted; one pantry; one bathroom and wash-house; one hall; one office and one W.C.. There was stabling for one horse and one cell for prisoners. It was staffed by one Mounted Constable. In the early 1970s land was acquired at 31 Nelson Street and a new police station was constructed. This was a three-roomed brick building with a cell block at the rear. By the time it closed in 2005 it had been extended twice. On 17 November 2006 the current Apollo Bay Police Station opened in its current location at 35a Nelson Street, on the corner of Cartwight Street). Outside the peak summer season, the station is open 16 hours per day and staffed by one sergeant and five other members.
3 black & white photos and 2 coloured photos