From the Collection of Melbourne Legacy 293 Swanston Street Melbourne Victoria
- Off-white foolscap photocopy of letter sent to Legatee R.J.A. Foskett by Miss Enez Domec-Carre.
- girls' classes, enez domec carre
- Letter sent to Legatee R.J.A. Foskett by Miss Enez Domec-Carre informing him that she would be discontinuing the use of Legacy House for her private physical culture classes. Details in the letter explain that she had resigned from running Legacy Girls' Classes on 31st December 1970. Legacy continued to allow her to hold private classes in Legacy house for young business girls of the city on Monday afternoons. In this letter she mentions her health means she was stopping those classes and thanked Legacy for their generosity. She still offered assistance with costumes for the annual demonstration and could be called on if any need arose.
Enez was the supervisor of the girls classes held at Legacy House for many years. She organised many annual demonstrations and was held in high regard by Legacy. The library at Legacy House is named in her honour. See also a newspaper article at 00978 which outlines her achievements, a summary of her career at 00458 and 00129.
She was a former Miss Victoria and was known for her physical education skills and for introducing grace and culture to Melbourne. In 1932 she joined Melbourne Legacy as assistant to Mrs Gilles (wife of a Legatee) later became the chief instructor of girls' physical education until she retired aged 65. In the post World War II baby boom the Legacy evening classes were attended by about 400 girls. She helped organise Legacy Widows and Legatee wives to sew the costumes for performances. Among her proudest moments was a display by 1000 Junior Legatees at the MCG during the 1954 visit of Queen Elizabeth II. As well her work for Legacy she ran physical education, ballroom dancing and debutante preparation classes.
- The letter illustrates Miss Carre's loyalty to Legacy and discontinues her private classes at Legacy House.
- Stamped in purple "COPY ONLY"
- 25 Jun 2020 at 3:10PM