Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Police Stations (Armadale)

From the Collection of Victoria Police Museum Mezzanine Level World Trade Centre Siddeley Street Docklands Victoria

Description
12 photographs comprising 8 coloured images and 4 black and white images
1 sketch plan of Old Armadale Police Station
Keywords
police stations; armadale police station
Historical information
Armadale is an inner suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 7 km south-east of Melbourne's Central Business District, located within the City of Stonnington local government area.

Armadale Police Station opened, in Melbourne Police District, on 11 May 1885. Its original location is unknown, but in 1890 it is listed in the Sands & McDougall directory as at 295 Hight Street. From 1985-1920 it was located at 20/22 Auburn Grove, 1925-1930 at 769 High Street and 1935-1946 at 3 Cheel Street. The station closed on 28 January 1946. The sub-division east of Orrong Rd was incorporated into Malvern Sub-district and west of Orrong Road into Prahran Sub-district.

In a special 1930 issue of the Victoria Police Gazette the Armadale Police Station was described as a seven-roomed brick dwelling with a tiled roof on land measuring 127' x 104' x 98'. There was also a bathroom and W.C., a wash-house, office, and a lock-up (one cell). This is probably a description of the Cheel Street police station. It was staffed by one senior constable and three foot constables.
Last updated
16 Dec 2019 at 3:09PM