Poster - Women of Queensland!: Send a man today to fight for you
From the Collection of Wangaratta RSL Sub Branch 2-4 Templeton Street Wangaratta Victoria
- Depicts a woman with arms raised, her clothing torn and right breast exposed. Two children lie dead on the round at her feet, while the town behind her burns.
- 48.6 x 71.8 cm
- poster, ww1, women of queensland
- An excellent example of Australian First World War recruiting posters aimed at women, rather than potential soldiers. The poster suggests that in helping defeat Germany, women were really defending themselves.
- Watkins, John Samuel (Maker)
- During the First World War, governments needed to convince their citizens to contribute to the war effort. In the absence of radio and film, the poster was the most effective method of mass communication
- Full poster text: 'Women of Queensland! Remember how women and children of France and Belgium were treated. Do you realise that your treatment would be worse? Send a man today to fight for you'
- 6 Mar 2020 at 4:44PM