From the Collection of Melbourne Legacy 293 Swanston Street Melbourne Victoria
- Photocopy of items about Miss Carre, a photo of Legatee Grattan's 100th celebrations and a photo of a Girls Camp at Mt Evelyn in 1946. Also copies of the letter that accompanied the items donated and Legacy's reply letter.
- junior legatee, girls' classes
- Items are part of a collection of Legacy items from Valma Hutchinson (nee Wigg), a former junior legatee. Valma was accepted into Junior Legacy club in 1940 when she was about 10 years old.
She had collected the newspaper clippings of notices in the newspapers for Miss Carre's 90th birthday and also her death notices. The sentiments expressed show how much she was respected by the former Junior Legacy girls. The photocopy includes a picture of 90th birthday celebrations for Miss Carre at Legacy house.
A copy of the photo of the girls at Mt Evelyn camp had already been received from Valma Hutchinson (nee Wigg) and is at 01437. It is mentioned that she and her good friend June were in the photo and would have been 16 at the time.
Miss Carre is also seen, seated wearing red, in the photo of L/- Grattan's 100th. More photos of Legatee Grattan's 100th are at 00964. A note sent to Legacy with the items mentions Legatee Grattan walked Valma down the aisle at her wedding and that Valma and her daughter would frequently put flowers on his plot in Springvale cemetery.
- An example of the long term friendship of Junior Legatees that they attend reunions and stay in contact. Also of their esteem for former Girls' Class trainer, Miss Carre and their appointed Legatee.
- 01719.2 Photo has 'Legacy Girls Camp at Mount Evelyn May 1946' on reverse in black pen.
01719.3 Photo has 'Legatee Grattan 100th birthday at Legacy House Melb. 20.9.1994' on reverse in blue pen
- 23 Apr 2020 at 3:04PM