Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Image - Tilly Aston - H.M. Lightfoot Centre

From the Collection of Vision Australia 454 Glenferrie Road Kooyong Victoria

Description
Digital image
Object Registration
unknown
Keywords
association for the blind
Historical information
Tilly Aston was a writer, educator and social reformist for blind and visually impaired people. Her desire to overcome the limitations in her own life, and that of others, led to the establishment of the Victorian Braille Writers Association (later the Braille Library of Victoria) and the Association for the Advancement of the Blind (later Association for the Blind). When the Kooyong site of the AFB required redevelopment due to the success of activities at Paterson Hall, a new building was constructed and named the H.M. Lightfoot Centre. As part of their contribution to acknowledging the work of Miss Aston, as well as two of the men who later worked with her, this plaque was struck and presented by the Blind Members' Council of the AFB.
When Made
1991
Inscriptions & Markings
"All noble things we do and dare,
Must be fruitful, sometime, somewhere"
Tilly Aston
11.12.1873 to 1.11.1947
Founder of
The Association for the Blind Ltd.
A gift to the H.M. Lightfoot Centre from
The Blind Members' Council
November 1991
Last updated
25 Feb 2020 at 1:34PM