Sir Henry de Castres Kellett (1851-1924) the son of a hereditary baronet, was born at Mt Gambier, South Australia in 1851. His English title had been created in Ireland in 1801, but the family was originally Norman with the later branches living in England and Ireland. Sir Henry Kellett assumed the title in 1906. Henry Kellett was a prominent Kew retailer, continuing his father’s newspaper and stationery business in Bulleen Road (now High Street). At various stages, he also acted as an insurance, postal and real estate agent. He lived in Walpole Street and later at Lota Begg (now demolished) in Westbrook Street, East Kew. In 1884, Henry Kellett was elected to the Kew Borough Council and served for 40 years; a remarkable example of public service. He was elected Mayor for a single term in 1888-9. Sir Henry de Castres Kellett died in St George’s Hospital in 1924 following a tragic car accident in Cotham Road, Kew while on Council business. The vehicle, in which he was travelling with fellow councillors and the Town Clerk, collided with a tram. Sir Henry Kellett is commemorated in the naming of Kellett Reserve and Kellett Grove.
Illustrated newspaper article from 1888, describing the elevation to the position of mayor of Kew by Cr Henry Kellett
Inscriptions & markings