Property Illustration - 75 Walpole Street, Kew
From the Collection of Kew Historical Society Inc 1 Civic Drive Kew Victoria
- Pen and ink architectural drawing on drafting film of 75 Walpole Street, Kew by Margaret Picken.
- artist -- margaret picken 1950-, architectural drawings -- houses -- kew (vic.), 75 walpole street -- kew (vic.)
- The Ernest House (former) at 75 Walpole Street was designed by Harry Ernest in 1955/56. It is one of ten Victorian dwellings in Neil Clerehan’s important 1961 book Best Australian Houses, which illustrated cutting-edge residential design of the day. The house is also significant as Harry Ernest’s first residential commission, introducing elements that characterised his subsequent output.This drawing of the house is one of a series created by Margaret Picken for a number of real estate agents in Melbourne between 1983 and 2006. Each work is signed and dated by the artist.
- The series of drawings in the Picken Collection are invaluable assets for identifying architectural features and styles. The year in which the drawing was created is also a valuable record for house historians, as a number of the properties depicted have either been altered since that date or demolished.
- 75 WALPOLE ST., KEW / MARGARET PICKEN '90 / WOODARDS ~
- 18 Aug 2020 at 11:55PM