The cornet was owned and used by W H Nicholls, a member of the Linton Brass Band, most likely in the 1890s or early 1900s. The cornet was donated to Linton & District Historical Society in 2017 by Robyn Nicholls, of Blackburn. It is understood in the Nicholls family that Robyn's late husband, Graeme Nicholls, inherited the cornet from his great-grandfather, William Henry Nicholls (1845-1902). However it is also possible that the cornet was owned and played by Graeme's grandfather, also named William Henry Nicholls (1880-1943).
Brass cornet with mouthpieces, in original dark wooden case which has red fabric lining. Instrument is approximately 30cm in length, has a 12 cm bell and three valves. A small portable sheet-music holder is also in the carrying case. The manufacturer's name "Gautrot Brevete, Paris" is imprinted on the bell, along with the inscription "Exposition Universelle de Paris, 1889, Medaille d'Or".
Inscriptions & markings
EXHIBITION / UNIVERSELLE / DE PARIS / 1889 / MEDAILLE D'OR / Gautrot Brevete / PARIS.