There are only seven shipwrecks in Victoria that have had more than 100 objects recovered from them reported as a result of the Commonwealth Amnesty held in 1993-94. These are the Loch Ard (1878), Schomberg (1855) and Fiji (1891) - all situated along the western district 'Shipwreck Coast' - and the George Roper (1883), Light of the Age (1868), Joseph H. Scammell (1891) and Victoria Tower - all situated along the short section of the 'Surf Coast' between Point Lonsdale and Torquay.
The Victoria Tower is archaeologically significant as the wreck of an international inward-bound passenger and cargo vessel. It is educationally and recreationally significant as a coherently intact example of a British built iron clipper ie: representative of a class or type. Along with the wrecks of the Light of the Age (1868 - American-built wooden clipper ship) and Sussex (1871 - Blackwall frigate) nearby these vessels represent the three major design classes, and span the evolution of commercial and immigrant sailing ships used by the British in the colonial Australian trade in the last half of the nineteenth century.
2 Doors from the 'Victoria Tower' made from teak and mahogany