The memorial grave was dedicated on 16 April, 1899. Following the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the barque, descendants of John Craig and other "Glen Huntly" passengers restored the memorial. Descendants gathered in 1992 for the unveiling of a plaque marking the restoration.
Inscriptions & markings
Rear of each photograph: SK Cemetery 1992 Glenhuntly Descendants.
Inscription on memorial: On December 13th 1839, the emigrant ship "Glen Huntly" left Greenock, Scotland and arrived in Hobson`s Bay on 17th April 1840. Many of the passengers suffering from fever were landed at the Red Bluff St Kilda on 24th April 1849. That being the first quarantine station in Victoria. A few days later John Craig James Mathers George Armstrong succumbed to the disease and were interred at The Bluff. Owing to the encroachment of the sea their remains were exhumed and removed to the St Kilda Cemetery on 27th August 1898 by the Board of Public Health.This memorial was erected by public subscription, to mark a notable event in the early history of the colony.
Inscription on plaque, unveiled in 1992: This memorial grave was restored by descendants of John Craig and of other "Glen Huntly" passengers. In April 1990 they commemorated the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the barque in Melbourne in 1840. 25th August 1991