Historical information

St John’s Congregational Church was established in 1888 on the corner of Barkly and Mitford Streets, near the Village Belle Hotel in South St Kilda. The building has now been demolished.

Significance

The photograph was taken at the final service. The church closed in 1974 and gave its hymn books, carpets and curtains to its sister church, East St Kilda Congregational Church at the corner of Hotham and Inkerman Streets (later East St Kilda Uniting Church and now Trinity-St Nicholas Church).

Physical description

black and white photograph

Inscriptions & markings

Portion of ceiling of St John Cong. Church South S Kilda. Closing Service 31 Dec 1973