Opened in 1857, St Kilda Railway Station is the oldest surviving railway station in Victoria. In the 1920s it was the second busiest station in Victoria after Flinders Street. Competition from motor traffic led to the decline of the station and of St Kilda itself. Services on the line were reduced in 1981 and it was converted to a tram route in November 1987. In 1989, several fires damaged the timber station building and by December, the roof had been destroyed. Metropol Apartments at 60 & 64 Fitzroy Street, completed by 2002, were constructed on the station forecourt site. The former station has been heavily redeveloped and now houses bars, restaurants and retail outlets.