Historical information

During demolition of the 1937 Missions to Seamen building in October 1995, this stone was removed intact by developers Mirvac Victoria, and placed in the care of the PMH&PS.

Physical description

Cornerstone laid at the Missions to Seamen building, Beach Road and Swallow Street, in 1937.

Inscriptions & markings

Engraved in black lettering on a granite background:

To the glory of God and the welfare of all seafarers this foundation stone was laid by His Excellency the Governor of Victoria, the Lord Huntingfield K.C.M.G. May 18th 1937. This branch Institute of the Victorian Missions to Seamen was erected through the generosity of Alfred M Nicholas Esq. Office of Harry A Norris Architects