An item forming part of a collection of costumes, photographs and documents relating to the Weir family who lived in the mansion originally named Illapa, 84 Princess Street, Kew, from c.1917 to 1950. This historically significant collection includes items relating to both George Weir (1866-1937) and his wife Edith Mary Weir (1867-1948). George Weir attained national prominence in the mining industry, becoming General Manager of the North Broken Hill Silver Mining Company in 1903 (later renamed North Broken Hill Mining Company 1905-12, and North Broken Hill Ltd 1912-1988), and subsequently President of the Mine Owners Association. He was to remain General Manager of North Broken Hill Ltd until his retirement in 1926.
Important group family photograph, taken in Broken Hill, of the two Weir parents and their children. Another aspect of the photograph is that it is revealing about fashion and the tastes of the period.
Studio portrait of George and Edith Weir and their five children, taken by a photographer of the Sykes Studio in Broken Hill, New South Wales. The members of the family are from left to right: Cecil Rigby Weir (1904-1983), Edith Mary Weir (nee Betteridge) (1867-1948), Edith Rigby Weir (1899-1981), John Rigby Weir (1910-1971), George Weir (1866-1937), Horace Rigby Weir (1907-1988), and George Rigby Weir (1901-1927). [John Rigby Weir was the father of the donor]