An item forming part of a collection of costumes, photographs and documents relating to the Weir family who lived in the mansion originally named Illapa, 84 Princess Street, Kew, from c.1917 to 1950. This historically significant collection includes items relating to both George Weir (1866-1937) and his wife Edith Mary Weir (1867-1948). George Weir attained national prominence in the mining industry, becoming General Manager of the North Broken Hill Silver Mining Company in 1903 (later renamed North Broken Hill Mining Company 1905-12, and North Broken Hill Ltd 1912-1988), and subsequently President of the Mine Owners Association. He was to remain General Manager of North Broken Hill Ltd until his retirement in 1926.
An early studio portrait of Edith Mary Weir (nee Betteridge) & George Weir c. 18/11/1891. The family story is that the photograph was taken by Yeomen photographers, of Burke St East, Melbourne about the time of their wedding prior to sailing on a ketch to Strachan, Tasmania.
Print copy of an oval studio portrait of George Weir and Edith Mary Betteridge. In the portrait, George is seated while Edith stands to his right, holding a cockade fan.