The Kew Baptist Church was originally located on the corner of Cotham Road and St John’s Parade. In 1922, work commenced on a new, larger church in Highbury Grove. The foundation stone of the new building was laid by Cr Ratten of the City of Kew on Saturday 14 October 1922, with the First Kew Scouts forming a guard of honor. A collection taken up at the laying of the foundation stone raised £454. The site and building cost approximately £6,000. The architects for this new red brick ‘semi-Gothic’ church were Messrs Gawler & Drummond. The interior of the church accommodated 500 parishioners. The seating sloped towards the pulpit with no columns obstructing the view of the worshippers.
An item from an outstanding and diverse photographic collection, assembled by members of the Christian and Washfold families of Kew. This remarkable photograph is a silver albumen photograph of what was by then a significant religious group in Kew.
Photographic positive on mounting board of the building of the new Kew Baptist Church in Highbury Grove, Kew, The foundation stone of the church was laid on 14 October 1922 by Councillor F.R. Patten J.P. The church was opened on 9 June 1923.
Inscriptions & markings
"Building Kew Baptist"