Historical information

The Kew Baptist Church was originally located on the corner of Cotham Road and St John’s Parade. In 1922, work commenced on a new, larger church in Highbury Grove. The foundation stone of the new building was laid by Cr Ratten of the City of Kew on Saturday 14 October 1922, with the First Kew Scouts forming a guard of honor. A collection taken up at the laying of the foundation stone raised £454. The site and building cost approximately £6,000. The architects for this new red brick ‘semi-Gothic’ church were Messrs Gawler & Drummond. The interior of the church accommodated 500 parishioners. The seating sloped towards the pulpit with no columns obstructing the view of the worshippers.


An early real photo Kodak postcard of the Kew Baptist Church showing its original fence

Physical description

Faded sepia postcard taken at an oblique angle of exterior of Kew Baptist Church in Highbury Grove. Image shows original fence and paintwork of windows. Photo shows parts of adjacent buildings. Two women walking past on footpath.

Inscriptions & markings

"Kew Baptist Church"