The Municipality of Kew was granted independence in 1860. It was declared a borough in 1863, a town in 1910 and a city in 1921. In 1994, Kew was amalgamated into the new City of Boroondara.
Black and white photographic positive of the front of the (former) Kew Town Hall in Walpole Street between High Street and Malmsbury Street, on the west side where Woolworth's supermarket now stands. The photograph, from August 1970 shows the detailing of the Italianate rendered-brick facade, added in the 1880s when the hall was renovated. The earliest building on the site was the Kew Athenaeum Hall (built 1860) which was purchased by Kew Council in 1865. The Town Hall was sold to Woolworth's and subsequently demolished in 1972 when the civic offices were transferred to a new building on the corner of Charles Street and Cotham Road.
Inscriptions & markings
"Old Kew Town Hall / Walpole St / Aug 1970/ Gift of Stewart West 1990"