The Municipality of Kew was granted independence in 1860. It was declared a borough in 1863, a town in 1910 and a city in 1921. In 1994, Kew was amalgamated into the new City of Boroondara. In 1960, a new Town Hall in Cotham Road was opened. The Municipal Offices that had remained in the former Town Hall in Walpole Street until it was moved to the new Civic Centre on the corner of Cotham Road and Charles Street in 1972.
This is a rare and important colour photograph of the Kew Municipal Offices (former Town Hall) taken on 11/2/1972 in the year that the building was demolished and replaced by a Safeway Supermarket.
Colour photographic positive (polaroid) of the front of the (former) Kew Town Hall in Walpole Street between High Street and Malmsbury Street, on the west side where Woolworth's supermarket now stands. The photograph, taken in February 1972, shows the detailing of the Italianate rendered-brick facade, added in the 1880s when the hall was renovated. The earliest building on the site was the Kew Athenaeum Hall (built 1860) which was purchased by Kew Council in 1865. The Town Hall was sold to Woolworth's and subsequently demolished in 1972 when the civic offices were transferred to a new building on the corner of Charles Street and Cotham Road.