This grand Italianate mansion at 26 Sackville Street was built in 1890 as a private home. In May 1915, ‘Blackhall’ was purchased for £1800 by the Salvation Army and renamed the ‘Catherine Booth Girls’ Home’. The Home provided accommodation from 1915 to 1976 for about 90 to 100 girls between the ages of 4 and 16. An original plaque can still be seen at the front entrance. ‘Preshil, the Margaret Lyttle Memorial School’ purchased Blackhall for its Senior School in 1978. The photograph dates from 1945.
Colour photographic positive of one of the houses in Sackville Street, now Preshil but formerly 'Blackhall'. Also at one stage the Salvation Army Catherine Booth Girls’ Home. Built in 1890, Blackhall is of significance as a typical and intact late Victorian mansion and as such is one of the key Victorian Buildings to have been built in Kew. It is integral to the significance of the concentration of Victorian mansions along Sackville Street.