Historical information

'Berrington' in Sackville Street was built in 1888 for Job Smith, builder, who was the first owner of this substantial two-storey house. The property was given an initial N.A. V. of £125 3 and it is possible that Smith was the contractor for his house.By the turn of the century 'Berrington' was identified as having thirteen rooms and an N.A.V. of £13 while the house remained in the hands of the Smith family until the late 1930s. The new owner at that stage was a Mrs Pederson who convened the house into three flats 6 while in 1951 it was further subdivided to become seven units. (Kew Conservation Study, 1988)

Physical description

Colour photographic positive of one of 'Berrington'. The building is a large two storeyed house typical of the late Victorian period. It remains substantially intact with a cast iron verandah dominating the front and side facades, that has the added distinction of a fine cast iron frieze that at ground floor level has two tiers. Behind the verandah, the facade is asymmetrical. There is a central six panelled door with a fine semicircular fanlight, and segmentally arched windows to the ground floor and on one side of the door there is a polygonal bay window that extends up the two floors. The eaves and chimneys are decorated with Italianate brackets. (Kew Conservation Study, 1988)