'Kew, Kew East, Balwyn & Balwyn North are located approximately 7km north east of Melbourne. Four main stormwater drains service the area flowing from south to north. Three of the drains: Deepdene Drain; Balwyn Drain & Glass Creek converge in Kew East just west of Burke Road at Kew High School before discharging into the Yarra River. The fourth drain, Kew Main Drain connects directly with the Yarra River to the West of Glass Creek.' The Kew Main Drain is a barrel drain that was created in the 1930s, and follows the route of the former Connor's Creek from the vicinity of Genazzano FCJ College to the Yarra River in East Kew
Important and verifiable evidence of the construction methods used by the Melbourne & Metropolitan Board of Works in building the Kew Main Drain, before its reconstruction in c.1985.
Original print colour positive photograph of the Kew Main Drain, provided on 14/12.84 to the Chief Engineer of the City of Kew, Ian Poulter, by the Supervising Engineer (Works), Southern and Eastern Drainage, Melbourne & Metropolitan Board of Works. The record includes an image of the reverse as well as the donation document from the MMBW.
Inscriptions & markings
"A84/1855-10 / 750mm council drain looking U/S [up stream] from Parkhill Road, Kew."