Edward Augustus Atkyns was born in Wiltshire, England in 1840. His family emigrated to Australia in 1852. As a young man he was a keen cricketer and played at the first cricket ground in the district, located between Barkers Road and Hawthorn Grove, on the site of the future Barker railway station. Atkyns was admitted to the Victorian Bar in 1861, initially working in his father’s practice. He sat as a local magistrate in both Kew and Hawthorn and acted as solicitor for several shire councils. Elected to the Hawthorn Borough Council in 1863 at the age of 23, he served in that municipality as mayor in 1866-67. By 1877, he had moved to Kew where he lived at Neama in Studley Park Road, a property later incorporated into the St Paul’s School for the Blind.
Rare colour photograph of what was once a significant house in Kew.
Original colour positive photograph (Kodak print) of the main house of 'Neama', colloquially known as the 'farmhouse'. Photographed by Stewart West in April 1978 (it was later demolished by the Villa Maria Society).
Inscriptions & markings
Annotated reverse: "Front view of Neama / Farmhouse on St Paul's School for the Blind Children / Fernhurst Estate"