The headstamp on these cartridges indicates they were manufactured in 1942 at the St Louis Ordnance Plant in Missouri USA. They were souvenired and engraved by Australian servicemen in New Guinea during WW2. All five cartridges are engraved with RAAF and Dutch New Guinea with one having additional engraving of Hollandia, Nadzab and Merauke. They belonged to 285492 Maurice Gerard HENDERSON born 21/9/1899 who enlisted at the age of 40 and served with the RAAF during WW2. He was deployed on 26/5/1944 with 113 FCU to Merauke in New Guinea.
No. 13 Fighter Sector Headquarters was formed at Garbutt airfield on 16 Apr 1943. They embarked from Cairns, Queensland on 27 Jun 1943 and disembarked at Merauke on 2 Jul 1943.
The Unit was renamed as No.113 Fighter Control Unit (113 FCU) on 7 Mar 1944. They moved to Townsville on 25 Feb 1945.
The Unit was finally disbanded on 22 Apr 1945.
Five white metal cartridges with round base tampered to a pointed top.
Inscriptions & markings
Headstamp - SL 42
Engraved - RAAF Dutch New Guinea