Historical information

The penel was recovered by the restorer of MESCo/SECV Geelong tram No. 2 and provided information about the paint scheme and layout. The Geelong tramway system closed in March 1956, No. 2 making its last run in January 1956. The body was subsequently sold to Phil Shoppee, a farmer at Murradoc on the Bellarine Peninsula. The farmer had used the tram body as a feed store, with this part placed up against a water tank or similar. This prevented it from being painted over. The panel shows the methodology of securing it to the tram body and the location of the lining and the emblem. The SECV logo or emblem dates from the formation of the SECV in 1921.

The panel dates from the 1950s, possibly from a repaint after the side entry gates on the car were replaced by hinged doors in the mid-1950s. See reference.


Yields information about the location of the lining and logo on the tram body and colours. One of the few original SECV logos formed from gold leaf in the Museum's collection.

Physical description

Sheet steel - treated - SEC green paint with a gold leaf SECV logo or emblem