In mid 1941, the MMTB commenced to employ females as Conductresses to alleviate a man power shortage as result of the Second World War. The first 8 commenced training at Hawthorn Depot during August and commenced work on 4 September. See reference for more details on the use of female staff.
A MMTB Poster "Melbourne Tramways Past & Present" identifies that the instructor was G. S Boardman and the photo was taken by The Herald.
Yields information about the first group to trained as conductresses during 1941.
Black and white photograph of 8 women trainee conductresses and Instructor - August 1941