Bon and Edna on honeymoon in Sydney and Jim was on his way to Canada
Black and white photograph of Ernest Wesley (Bon / Bonnie), James Edward (Jim) Barrie and Edna Eva Myers [Barrie]
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the place now called Victoria, and all First Peoples living and working on this land. We celebrate the history and contemporary creativity of the world’s oldest living culture and pay respect to Elders — past, present and future.
Please be aware that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Some material may contain terms that reflect authors’ views, or those of the period in which the item was written or recorded but may not be considered appropriate today. These views are not necessarily the views of Victorian Collections.
Users of this site should be aware that in many areas of Australia, reproduction of the names and photographs of deceased people is restricted during a period of mourning. The length of this time varies and is determined by the community.
Reuse of any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander material on this site may require cultural clearances. Users are advised to contact the source organisation to discuss appropriate reuse.
Can you reuse this media without permission? No (with exceptions, see below)
All rights reserved
This media item is licensed under "All rights reserved". You cannot share (i.e. copy, distribute, transmit) or rework (i.e. alter, transform, build upon) this item, or use it for commercial purposes without the permission of the copyright owner. However, an exception can be made if your intended use meets the "fair dealing" criteria. Uses that meet this criteria include research or study; criticism or review; parody or satire; reporting news; enabling a person with a disability to access material; or professional advice by a lawyer, patent attorney, or trademark attorney.
Please acknowledge the item’s source, creator and title (where known)
Have a question? Contact Melton City Libraries
Bon and Edna on honeymoon in Sydney and Jim was on his way to Canada
Black and white photograph of Ernest Wesley (Bon / Bonnie), James Edward (Jim) Barrie and Edna Eva Myers [Barrie]
Fanny Elizabeth nee Minns Parker, daughter of George Minns was born in Norfolk c.1808, married Nicholas Parker in Melton 1874. They had two sons, John Nicholas. Father Nicholas died circa 1877. Their second son George Minns Parker was born 31st December 1876. Fanny’s house contained external decorative features and corner stonework which was also used in the Willows House. Fanny died circa 1919 Fanny Parker was a friend of Ann Myers. Their sons were born in the same decade. The rate books show her as a dressmaker.
Parkeer's house was located on Mckenzie Street, Melton
local identities, local architecture
Photo of the painting scanned by Morrie Forte 2011. "The Minns’ Hotel, the was originally a butcher shop, before owner George Minns transformed it into a hotel. It later became known as Mac’s Hotel, which remains a popular place in Melton today".
Oil Painting by D C Power Minns Hotel Melton
"The Melton Viaduct, opened in 1886, is of State heritage significance as a very large and visually distinctive wrought iron, lattice girder trestle bridge over the Werribee River (now Melton Reservoir). It comprises 18.3 and 9.1 metre spans, in a generally alternate arrangement, of total length 375 metres, and standing 38 metres over the Werribee River. Wrought iron small section iron was used to build tension trussed trestle legs, which supported four lines of rivetted wrought-iron deck-type double lattice trusses. It has bluestone abutments and pier bases of coursed rock-faced bluestone with drafted margins. The larger half-piers, now usually submerged in the Melton Reservoir have sharp tapered cutwaters and curved coping at the tops. While designed to carry two rail tracks it has only ever been used as a single track line. Despite several alterations to its deck structure, it remains an outstanding example of a lighter structural design employing open metal trestle supports and metal truss girders. The direct Melbourne to Ballarat railway link of which the Melton viaduct was the major engineering work contributed significantly to the history and development of Victoria. This new link reflected Ballarat’s diversifying economy as well as the commercial and political influence of the metropolis. Construction of the bridge, and the associated large workers camp, were extensively photographed, documenting an important episode in local history. The railway enabled the development of new industries in the Melton area, notably the timber industry and a chaff industry of national importance, greatly facilitated the later transition of the Shire from a pastoral to a farming economy, and struck a major blow to Melton township’s era as a wayside town servicing Ballarat road (especially coach) traffic".
Melton Railway Bridge being built across the Werribee River
In 1906 , Jessie May married Charles Ernest Barrie in the Methodist Church Melton on the 23rd August. They lived in the newly built house beside the Chaff Mill on the corner of Station and Brooklyn road Melton South.
Black and white photograph of Charles Ernest Barrie and Jessie May Lang [Barrie]
This document is has been compiled by Wendy Barrie daughter of Ernest (Bon) and Edna Barrie and granddaughter of Charles E and Jessie M Barrie. Ernie Barrie operated a travelling Chaff Cutter in the St Arnaud area where his parents William and Mary Ann had taken up land at Coonooer West in 1873. Ernie commenced his working life with a team of bullocks and a chaff cutter. The earliest connection he had with Melton was in 1887. By the beginning of the 20th century Ernie and his father William and brothers, William, Samuel, James Edwin,[Ted] Robert, Arthur and Albert have been associated with farming and milling in the Melton district. In the early 1900’s Ernie and his brother Ted were in partnership in a Chaff cutting and Hay processing Mill on the corner of Station and Brooklyn road Melton South. The mill was managed by William for a time. By 1906 Charles Ernest and James Edwin were in partnership in the Station Road mill when a connecting rail line across Brooklyn Road for a siding was constructed to the Melton Railway Station. In 1911 the Mill’s letterhead shows C.E. BARRIE Hay Pressing and Chaff Cutting Mills. Melton Railway Station. Telephone No 1 Melton. This Mill as sold to H S K Ward in 1916 and stood until 1977 when it burnt down in a spectacular fire. Ernie built a house at Melton South beside the Chaff Mill at Station Road in 1906 and married Jessie May Lang in August at the Methodist Church. Jessie’s father was Thomas Lang. He came to Melton in 1896 and was the Head Teacher at Melton State School No 430 until he retired in 1917. They had 9 children with 8 surviving to adulthood. Jessie and Ernie had 6 sons and 3 daughters. All the children lived at Darlingsford. In April 1910 the family left Melton for a brief period and moved to a farm in Trundle in NSW. They returned to Melton and purchased Darlingsford in May 1911. For a time during WW1 they lived at Moonee Ponds near the Lang grandparents at Ascot Vale. Mary and Bon attended Bank St State School. The children developed diphtheria in 1916 and their youngest boy, Cecil died of complications. Mary and Bon were taken to Fairfield Hospital and both recovered. At the end of the war influenza broke out the family returned to Darlingsford and shared the home for a short while with the Pearcey family who had been working the farm. By 1922 the family had and grown and Edgar, Tom, Horace, Jessie, Joyce and Jim were living a Darlingsford. Ernie continued during the 1920’s working the farm and attend his many civic and community commitments. Two 8 clydesdale horse teams were used to work the land which meant early rising for the horses to be fed and harnessed to commence the days work. In 1916 Ernie also became involved in a Chaff Mill on the corner of Sunshine and Geelong Road West Footscray, which at the time was being run by John Ralph Schutt. It was known an Schutt Barrie. A flour mill was added at a later stage. Other Schutt and Barrie mills were situated at Parwan and Diggers Rest. Another mill was situated beside the railway line at Rockbank. The Footscray mill ceased operation in 1968 Ernie spent a lot of time and energy at the Parwan Mill and travelling around Parwan and Balliang farms, where he came to know many of the families in the district. Ernies commitment to the civic development to the Melton and district was extensive, he was involved with a number of large events during the 1920’s such as the Melton Exhibitions and the 1929 Back to Melton Celebrations. He was a member of the Australian Natives Association at the turn of the century. He was Chairman of the School Committee at Melton State School 430 and the Melton South State School in thw1920s. He donated the land for a Hall for Melton South in 1909, known as Exford Hall and later in 1919 renamed Victoria Hall. The Hall was demolished in 1992. He was a Councillor, JP, and Vice President and President of the Melton Mechanics Institute Hall Committee in 1915- 1916. He was a member of the Methodist Church and later the Scots Presbyterian Church. He was Superintendent of the Sunday School of the Methodist Church to 1910 and later Scots Presbyterian Church until 1931. This is reflected in the theme of children in the stained glass window which was dedicated in his memory by his wife Jessie as a gift to the Scots Church. Charles Ernest Barrie made many generous donations to many charities who supported young people and children. In 1918 Jessie and Ernie made the first donation to a very prominent Victorian charity whose work still continues. Yooralla. In July 1931 Ernie’s untimely death was a major blow to the family and the Melton community. To this day people still vividly recall the day they lined the streets for his funeral. The day of the funeral is recalled as the day Melton stood as two of their prominent citizens who tragically died on the same day
Photograph of Charles Ernest Barrie taken from Scenes at Melton and Old Residents
Shirley Wallace was one of the competitors, country and western singer. Father was Cr Jack Wallace of Rockbank, served 5 terms as President, unopposed for 46 years. Married Mabel Dixon.
Photos of competitors from the Hill Billy Quest
FREDERICK THOMAS MYERS Born 20th February 1877 at Melton Married Martha Mary Watson 30th April 1908 at the Manse 101 Gore Street Fitzroy according to the rites of the church (Cong) – Congregational. Died Bacchus Marsh and District War Memorial Hospital 30th April 1963 Frederick lived in Melton all his life. Work Notebooks/ diary 1901 – 1905 No 1 1901 Shearing Tally Rockbank, 1901, 1902. Lists 3 Combs 6.0, 12 Cutters 5.0, Tab 1.6 Jongebloed account – Tobacco, matches sardines. Shearing shed 1904 Tuppal 20 Aug. Daily Tally of sheep shorn Total 1730 E C Shopping list - 6 pages of household items, Leader, Age and Weekly Times Tomato Sauce- recipe written in ink Toolern Road Hours worked 35 ½ Reverse order from back cover – Harwood 29th Aug 1902 Shearing Tally 1083 November 1902 - List of dates Mon- Sat. Nov 3rd - Fri Dec 5th E Chalmer. Tally of hours worked. Jan 1903 Thur 1st - 31st Toohey Keilor Road, Feb – March 14th Payment L75:4:9 J Walker April 1903 – 23rd 18 Cutters 7:6 5 Combs 10:0 2 Tab 3:0 Ticket 15:0 Total 1:15:6 Tucker 3:12:6 Other pages are calculations related to hours worked and amounts The notebook contains 26 pages with some blank and other torn out. It measures 2 ½ x 4 inches with a hard black cover. FREDERICK MYERS Workbook/ Diary No 2 Opening 5 pages – Gottfried Jongebloed account - paid 2/11/04 List of grocery and household items. E Chalmer -Pr Boots, 8:9 Tab 1:8 Leader 3’ Reverse order Eynesbury 7th Oct 1904 Shearing Tally 1635 Tucker payment L1:18:6 Tuppal 20th Aug 1904 Tally 1636 [ 4 weeks and 4 days] Feb 1905 Melton 1st – 13, Toolern Rd 14th , April Braybrook Rd. Melton town, G Hobbs Boundary Rd, Melton May G Hobbs 2 pages of food expenses and amount paid Simpson & Co – Butcher account and amount paid Mon 5th –July 22nd Toohey days and hour worked 34 yards Tuppal 20th Aug additional list 1735 Eynesbury 3rd Oct additional list 2093 Diagram 3 drawings in ink –a type of tool Nov 21 1904 List Dunmore Stn Orford Vic Barwidgee Stn Caramut Vic Wharparanna Stn via Tocumural N.S.W. Puckawidgee vis Aug Deniliquin N.S.W. Bundure Stn via Aug Jerilderie Trawalla Ballarat Oct Woorywooryte Oct Vic Yancannia Bourke July Pretty Tower Stn Beaufort November Size of Notebook 2 ¼ x 5 inches. WORK NOTEBOOK 1909, 1910 Wandook 17th Aug 1909. 21 days of shearing 1248 Total. Payment L14 ?? Boomanoomana 23 Sept 1909. 17 days shearing 1124 Total. L13.12.9 Eynesbury 20th Oct 1909. 17 days shearing 1587 Total L17. 13.0 Cobran Aug 13 1910 Studs Rams Total 3397 List of expenses includes 12 cutters, 3 combs, Union ticket, matches, tobacco stamps. Miller, J Egan. Eynesbury Oct 1910 Total 1467 Lal Lal Nov 21 Total 1172 For Backache Tincture of Gentian Compound one ounce Syrup of Rhubarb one ounce Liquid Barkola Compound one ounce Syrup of Ginger five ounce Dose a teaspoonful after each meal and one at bedtime John Collins, Woodside Via Yarram Yarram Mr Fisken Lal Lal Via Yendon Woodlawn Deniliquin 15th October Oct 12th 1911 Eucla Jarrett Barfold 21,000 7? Shearers Clark Moir Estate 10th Aug 1910-1911 Income amounts Shearing income. Mc Donald – thrasher Keating Toohey Cobran 1911 Studs and Rams 1793 Cobran 14th Aug per man 1500 Golf Hill 26th Sept per man 1900 Cobran 14th Aug Cut out 23rd Sept 2368 payment L21..19..4 [after expenses] Spring Plains Oct 2nd 1022 Total Barfold 2636 Total Chaffcutting J.B. Loft Feb 17th - 31 ½ hours John Minns Toohey Started Deep Creek Whelahan Ballarat Rd May 25th Mr J Walker Koohnamu Stn via Junta S.A. N Aitken Bringlibit via Kyneton Income list 1911 to 1912 and amounts earned Cobran L29..0..9 , Spring Plains Barfold L42..6..3, John Minns L4..8..0, J.B. Loft L3..0..6, D Whelahan L22.. 6..0, E Toohey L15.. 1..0, = total L123..2..6 John Minns 12..0, JB Loft 4.. D Whelahan L10..2..0, Barrie L11..5. Total Amount L145..5..6. Cobran 1912 15th Aug 1922 total Rams double. Expenses include 12 + 6 Cutters, 2+2+2 Combs, Political fund, Ticket, Mess Account, Hut Keeper, Hospital, Cook Total L11..8..3. Station Rd - L11..2..9. Golf Hill Sept 26 Cut out 31 Oct Total 2332 Lal Lal Nov 6th 19th 1912 6 days Total 1066 Contracts – Cameron, Barrie, McKay, Toohey, Stn Rd ? Cobran 1913 – Aug 14- 1913 Total 1621 Cobran 1621 Kyneton Park 515 Golf Hill 2144 Lal Lal 1066 Total 5,346 1913 – 1914 Income 5, 350 sheep Local contracts E. Barrie, Greig, Weir, S Barrie, Jongebloed, Burton, E Toohey, Total L133..3..0. Trench & Moran L19..8..0. End of front section of Notebook
Work notebooks belonging to Frederick Myers
"Hannah ‘Grannie’ Wattsis one of Melton’s mostcelebrated and cherished pioneers. Born in Ireland in 1831, Hannah immigrated to Australia with her husband George Byrns in 1854. Moving to Melton, they built a wattle and daub hut home where they lived with their four children until George was tragically killed in 1860. Unusually for the time, Hannah purchased land in her own name in the Melton township in 1863. Later that same year she married William Watts and together they moved to Toolern Vale and built a bluestone and mud brick home. It is believed that while travelling to Australia, Hannah assisted the ship surgeon and demonstrated a natural aptitude for the tasks assigned to her. When she was living in Melton she assisted other women in an unofficial capacity as neighbourhood midwife, while also working on her farm and raising her six children. By 1887, however, her reputation as a midwife had grown to such an extent that she was able to establish her own practice. William Watts died in 1874, but Hannah remained in Toolern Vale for the next twenty years. In 1894, she moved into the Melton township and built Lynch Cottage on the corner of Yuille and Sherwin streets, near Toolern Vale Creek. There she assisted in the births of hundreds of Melton residents, as well as the laying out of the deceased. Meticulous in her record keeping, Hannah Watts recorded the details of a total of 442 births between the years 1886 and 1921. Lynch Cottage was officially registered as a private hospital in 1911 and Hannah was listed in the Victorian Register of Midwives in 1917. Hannah Watts died on 21 October 1921, a few months after she assisted with the delivery of her final baby, Thomas Watts Minns. She was 90 years old. Hannah was buried in Melton Cemetery and mourned by the Melton community. Her obituary in the Gisborne Gazette is a testament to how beloved she was by the people she served: ... while in the absence of medical aid residents looked to Grannie as their doctor, philosopher and friend. Hundreds, in fact we might say thousands of people held the deceased in veneration ... A woman of great energy and determination combined with superior intelligence, Grannie conquered difficulties that would have made many falter... Today Grannie Watts is remembered by her descendants and by many locals in the City of Melton. Created in 1985, Hannah Watts Park honours Grannie Watts’ pioneering work for the health and wellbeing of hundreds of Meltonians. Not only is the park a fitting tribute to the memory of an outstanding citizen, it also continues to provide today’s residents and visitors with a space to walk, relax, gather and celebrate in Melton" .
Tom Minns holding Debra Wain, first hospital baby to be born In Melton since 1921. Article featured in the Herald. Mother Rhonda Wain is featured in the photo too.
local identities, local significant events
Article mentions Agnes Ross Riddell, she came to Melton as a girl with her twin sister. Her mother was the Post Mistress at Melton. ( Daughter Zan m Ron Durham of Bacchus Marsh). Agnes was a music Teacher who taught Marjorie G Myers until she went to the Conservatorium of Music at age 16. Agnes also taught Mabel Dixon.
Concert event for the Melton Football Club, article featured in the Melton Express
local identities, sport
Lynette (nee Butler) Kutschewski, one of the attendees in the photograph was the daughter of Mr. Bert and Mrs Marjorie Butler (nee Myers).
Photograph from the Long Island Junior Golfers' Dance in the Frankston Standard Newspaper.
Son of Jessie and Charles Ernest Barrie of Darlingsford Melton Married Marion Ferris at Christ Church Melton on 11th May 1939. They lived on the family farm at Ferris Road Melton. They had one son, Ian who has continued in farming in Melton. He served the community in the following – Shire of Melton Councillor Member for 32 years 1941 – 1970 Elected as Councillor for Melton South 1970 – 1973 Councillor for Rockbank 1943 – 1944 Shire President for three terms 1958 – 1959 ditto 1964 – 1965 ditto Council Representative: Bacchus Marsh High School and Western Suburbs Municipalities. Representative on delegation to prevent Melton post primary students being sent to Deer Park prior to the establishment of Melton High School. Melton Bush Fire Brigade 1941 Member Melton Bush Fire Brigade Registered No. 425 1942 1942 2nd Lieutenant 1943 – 1944 4th Lieutenant Country Fire Authority Rural Services Award 1963 20 Years Long Service Badge Scots Presbyterian Church Melton Member of the Board of Management 1947 – 1969 information from Annual Reports Tom farmed the family property with his father and brothers, and later the Ferris Road property which continued with his son Ian. His childhood interest in horses began with the draft horses kept at the bluestone stable and barn at Darlingsford. When the stables were empty in the late 1980s visit, he vividly recalled the names of the horses he had handled in his youth. When the draft horse became obsolete with the introduction of tractors and trucks this interest continued with the breeding and training of harness racers. Darlingsford Drafts and Ponies. Order of Stalls Clydesdales – Dick, Dolly, Flower, Nugget, Blossom, Lofty, Prince. Roger, Rose, Violet, Don, Beauty, Baldy, Diamond. Cart and Mounts Creamy, Digger, Popsy
Black and white photographs of Tom Barrie
History of Melton State School 430 article featured in the Telegraph
education, local architecture
"On 17th May 1858 a State subsidised, combined Denominational School was opened by HT Stokes, with an attendance of about 30 children. This school was conducted in the wooden Melton Combined Protestant Church, situated on ‘a creek flat’ thought to be on the north side of Sherwin Street between Pyke and Byran Streets. It is likely that the Church had been established by 1855 and that the first minister was the Rev. Hampshire, who lived in Cambridge House on the Exford Estate. Ministers of the Protestant denominations were invited to hold services there. As there was only one resident Minister in the town (Presbyterian Mr J Lambie), laymen of the various denominations often spoke on Sundays. In 1863 this building was declared a Common School with the number 430. One of its first and most prominent headmasters was John Corr, who served from 1860 to 1864. Most of Mr Corr’s children also became teachers, including Joseph Corr, at the Rockbank school, and J Reford Corr and WS Corr, headmasters and teachers at numerous prestigious private secondary schools around Australia. John Corr purchased land alongside the school and elsewhere in and near Melton, became secretary and treasurer of the new Cemetery Trust, and by July 1861 was deputy registrar of births, deaths and marriages. He walked three miles every Sunday to teach at the Weslyan Sunday School he had established. Despite good reports from the Education Department Inspector, and burgeoning enrolments, the local school committee recommended the dismissal of, firstly, his wife (from the work mistress position), and then him from the headmaster position. Corr saw his dismissal as an attempt to redirect state aid for education from the Combined Protestant school to the support of the Free Presbyterian Minister Rev James Lambie (by one account the owner of the land on which the Common School was erected), whose son-in-law James Scott subsequently assumed responsibility for the school. Rev Lambie failed in his efforts to keep the existing school, which the Education Department Inspector and the majority of Melton citizens regarded as badly situated and badly built. Following a conditional promise of state aid, local contributors in 1868-69 raised ₤72.10.6 towards the cost of an iron-roofed bluestone rubble building 43 ft x 12 ft. This was erected on a new site of 1.5 acres (the present site). The State contributed ₤120 to the new school, which opened in 1870. A very early (c.1874) photograph of the school shows its headmaster and work mistress / assistant teacher (probably James Scott and his wife Jessie) and its (very young) scholars. Similar photos show pupils in front of the school in c.1903, and 1933. In 1877 a second bluestone room costing ₤297 was added and further land acquired from the Agricultural Society (who only needed it two days a year) to enlarge the schoolground to 3 acres. In the early 1880s an underground tank augmented the school water supply and in 1919 a five-roomed wooden residence was added. During this period the school correspondents often compained that the walls of the bluestone buildings were damp, affecting the plaster. In 1923 a brick room 26 ft 6 in by 24 ft with a fireplace and four rooms facing south, was added, and a corridor built to link the three buildings. This served adequately for the next 40 years. The school bell probably dates to 1883. The school also has a memorial gate (1951) to World War One ex-students, and an honour board to the 64 ex-students who served in the First World War. The school roll fell to 42 in the early post war-years, but was boosted by an influx of migrants, mainly from the UK, from the late 1960s. This presaged the boom in Melton’s development, and the corresponding growth of the school, with timber and temporary classrooms added to the previous masonry ones. An endowment pine plantation established in 1930 augmented the school’s fundraising activities when it was harvested in 1968. Part of the site was planted with eucalyptus trees in 1959. Famous ex-students of the early twentieth century included Hector Fraser (internationally successful shooter) and cyclist Sir Hubert Opperman".
Photo of Edna and Margaret Barrie with Miles Baunders taken for the Telegraph
education, local identities
Ida Porter was post mistress at the Melton Post Office from 1966 to 1978.
Photograph of Ida Porter and documents relating to the Melton Post Office
Express Telegraph article about Melton Fire Brigade
emergency services, local identities
"On 5 July 1936, locals in Melton South saw a plane emerge from behind clouds above the railway station, in heavy wind and rain. Engine roaring, the plane went into a spin and disintegrated into pieces in mid-air, before crashing to the ground near Arnold’s Creek. The pilot, young Australian aviator Jimmy Melrose, and a passenger, Alexander Campbell, were killed.Jimmy Melrose was a popular figure in international aviation, having been the youngest and only solo pilot to finish the London to Melbourne Centenary Air Race in 1934. His death, at the age of just twenty-two, caused an outpouring of sorrow. He was honoured with a state funeral two days later at St Paul’s Cathedral in Melbourne, which was attended by thousands of people. Locals Maisie Arthur, Ted Wickham and Bill Cahill gave eyewitness accounts of the accident to the authorities, and an inquest found that it was the result of structural failure and poor weather. A cairn erected by locals near the scene was reconstructed by the Melton and District Historical Society in Brookfield, opposite the Melrose Memorial Reserve, on the 40th anniversary of the crash in 1976".
Regional Gazette article of a cairn erected by locals near the scene of the plane accident which involved Jimmy Melrose, and passenger, Alexander Campbell
local significant events, landscapes of significance
Plans to save the Anglican Church in Melton
churches, local architecture
"Donald Mackintosh was born in Rockbank on 21 September 1866. He quickly proved himself as an expert shot, joining the Bacchus Marsh Shooting Club at the age of ten and the Melbourne Gun Club at 23. In 1890 he won the Melbourne Gun Club £1000 Cup Handicap. Donald represented Australia at the 1900 Paris Olympic Games. However, due to confusion at the time over whether this competition was an official Olympic event, Donald was not recognised as an Olympic medallist during his lifetime. In 1987 the IOC issued Donald’s gold and bronze medals. Donald continued to travel around Europe and won many other competitions, including the London Gun Club Challenge Cup three times in a row and the Grand Prix at Monte Carlo twice. As well as being an expert shot, Donald was also well educated and wrote poetry. Most astonishingly, he was also completely blind in his left eye".
Melton Bacchus Marsh Express article about Olympian Donald Mackintosh
local identities, sport
"Edna Barrie is one of countless women who have played a crucial role in the Melton communityover its history. She was a tireless volunteer and a stalwart of the community who helped to keep many organisations running and thriving. Edna was born in 1918 into a family with deep roots in Melton. Her grandmother Ann Dowling arrived in the colony from Ireland with her two sisters in 1855. Ann purchased land in Melton and settled on the Ballarat Road (High Street) at Ryans Creek with her husband Henry Myers. The three Dowling sisters had ten children between them who attended Melton State School No. 430, as did Edna. Edna was involved with the Melton branch of the Country Women’s Association for 50 years and was an active member of the Melton Mechanics’ Institute and the Melton Uniting Church throughout her life. She was involved with the local CFA branch from 1942. As a member of the CFA’s Women’s Auxiliary, Edna helped raise funds and provide meals to the firefighters. Edna was a founding member of the Melton & District Historical Society in 1968, and was passionate about preserving and sharing local history. The formation of the society at that time, during a period of increasingly rapid growth for the municipality, was crucial, ensuring that many photos, documents and stories of early Melton were not lost".
Newspaper clippings about Edna Barrie
Electricity – 1939 eeb Express Dec 9th 1937 Electric Light Petition First combined (schools) sports meeting, Melton south, Rockbank, Mt Cotterell, Toolern Vale, Sydenham West, Melton Park, Exford. Jack Wallace Starter, G Wilson (ref) G McDonald, F Ryan judges. A G Macdonald Gate Keeper, A Bamford, E W Barrie, S Rogers Announcers. M P A call meeting for 24th March Two or three progressive residence of Melton township are still pushing quietly for a water scheme for Melton and extension of electricity service expected to be provided for the beam wireless station a Rockbank. One of these has gone so far as to seek opinion of an independent engineer regarding the possibility of township water supply. May 1 1937 A move to combine in Melton Shire Council to convene a public meeting to agitiate for extension of the Electric Supply to Melton is being undertaken by the Progress Association and the Hall Committee. Melton Progress Association and Melton Mechanics Institute Committee joined in a decision to request Melton Shire Council to call a Public Meeting to push for extension of Yallourn electricity to Rockbank and Melton June 12th July 3rd Residents of Melton and Rockbank have an opportunity to reveal attitude towards proposed extension a result of MSC in convincing a public meeting MMI support from Amalgamated Wireless A/Asia Ltd directors Mr Townsing to preside which had been convened by MPAssoc and MMI nicely timed as SEC estimates for ensuing year known to be in course of preperation. Saturday 17th July 1937 Melton Move for Electricity. Meeting shows ….. extensive article …. meetin appointed Messrs Butler and Barrie canvass the town Dec 9th 1939 Mechanics Institute floor to be prepared next week
Electricity installed in Melton, article featured in the Melton Express
local significant events
Eddie and his wife Lorraine Gillespie were part of The Willows Restoration Committee and he was a member of the Mt Cottrell Fire Brigades Group.
The Melton Express article about Eddie Gillespie elected as Shire president for Melton Council
council, local identities
Express Telegraph article about the Future Project for the Toolern Employment Node
landscapes of significance
Mail Express article of events which took place in Melton between May and August in 1990
local significant events
In 1974 Edna Barrie took part in the Australian Choir at the fourteenth Triennial conference of the ACWW Interfaith Service held at the Perth Concert Hall on the 13th of October.
News clipping from the The West Australian about the Associated Country Women of the World Conference
local special interest groups
Visitors at Melton High School Melton Express article
local identities, education
" Designed by architect Norman Day, the school was built in an innovative postmodern style. Day’s vision was for the school’s students to feel as comfortable and familiar at school as in their own homes. He based the design on the local suburban typology. The buildings consisted of individual self-contained classrooms, each with a front door, back door and garden. Each class retained the same homeroom for the duration of their schooling. Norman Day won the inaugural Lustig & Moar Architectural Prize in 1988 for his Mowbray College design, and the Australian Library Promotion Council/RAIA Library Design Award for the school’s library building. The school officially opened on 7 February 1983 with an enrolment of 93 students from Prep to Year 7. Mark Fergus was a Prep student in the school’s inaugural year. He later remembered: It was good then because everyone knew each other. Our first few weeks at school we had classes in the Guide Hall because the Mill wasn’t finished. The rest of the school where the Labs and Coppin Court are now was only a big paddock. Another Prep student, Brooke Harrison, recalled: The only recreation we had was the rough playground which consisted of monkey bars, old tractor tyres and a sandpit and high bars. Accidents were a frequent occurrence in those days! It was a friendly atmosphere, you know everyone and their business ... During some classes we used to do horticultural work and planted trees out the front of the school. In 2003, Mowbray College celebrated two decades of educating students in Melton. By that stage, the school had expanded to two campuses with over 1,450 students and 120 staff. It was estimated that over the twenty years since its establishment, 13,000 students passed through the gates. By the mid-2000s, the school offered an International Baccalaureate program and operated across three campuses: the original campus, named Patterson after the first principal, and the Brookside and Town Centre campuses, both located in Caroline Springs. Unfortunately, in 2012 Mowbray College found itself in an unmanageable situation. The community had lost faith in the school’s financial security and as a result some parents withheld their school fees, fearing the school would collapse. It had been in financial difficulty since the mid-2000s and by 2012 was $28 million in debt. 84 In June 2012, all three campuses closed and within four months, each of the campuses of the former Mowbray College had been purchased by other education institutes. Heathdale Christian College bought the original Mowbray campus and established its own campus there and Grace Children’s Services bought the Brookside campus. The Town Centre campus was purchased by Intaj Khan from the Western Institute of Technology but remained vacant after some failed attempts at re-establishing a school. In 2017 the Australian International Academy established an Islamic school on the site".
The Express article about a grant for Mowbray College
Newspaper clippings about the Uniting Church, Melton
churches, local identities
Born 1904, he attended Melton School 430 1913/14. Achieved fame in bicycle racing, later was a well known Member of Parliament, held ministerial positions both in Australia and overseas. On October 27th launched Melton’s History–Plains of Promise 1985.
Memories of Hubert Opperman, article featured in the Age
"James Pinkerton, described by fellow settler Isaac Batey as ‘a fine old Scotish [sic] gentleman’, and his wife Margaret established ‘Chamois Ponds’ on Kororoit Creek in the Keilor district in 1840.44 After a fire in 1848, the Pinkerton family moved further west to a holding called Yaloke, on the Werribee River in the Melton district.45 Today, the Surbiton Park water treatment plant operates on part of the Yaloke run. The Pinkerton family is remembered in Melton in part due to the historic graves of the original settler, Margaret Pinkerton, and four of her grandchildren, which were marked by a memorial cairn in 1931. Changes to sewage flood zoning in the area in the 1990s necessitated that these burials be relocated. Members of the Melton & District Historical Society oversaw a project to relocate the Pinkerton graves and cairn 200 metres from their original site to their current resting place at Mount Cottrell. This relocation ceremony took place on 8 November 1992, with the participation of local school students and with Pinkerton descendants playing a central role. This occasion also marked the opening of the Pinkerton Forest Project, which saw 50 hectares of degraded woodland in Surbiton Park protected for regeneration".
Photograph of Jame Pinkerton featured in the the Telegraph
local identities, pioneer families
Members of the Pinkerton family in November 2017 at the opening of the time capsule that was buried in 1992 to mark the rejuvenation of the land through the Surbiton Park and Pinkerton Forest projects. A time capsule was first buried in the memorial cairn marking the graves of members of the early settler family in 1931. A third time capsule was created in 2017, to be opened in 2042.
Star Weekly article about the descendents of the Pinkerton family
local identities, pioneer families
Victorian Collections acknowledges the Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the first inhabitants of the nation and the traditional custodians of the lands where we live, learn and work.