A slide image of three ladies in a waiting room, believed to be in the old Legacy House in Market Street, probably from the 1950s. The portrait of Stan Savige was painted by E. Buckmaster for the Archibald prize in 1946.
Legacy rented the Market St premises for many years. It was part of the Western Market complex that was demolished and redeveloped in the early 1960s. Legacy held meetings, activities and the girls classes on the second floor of the building, accessed by this staircase, but it was barely fit for purpose. In the 1940s a generous donation by an anonymous donor meant Legacy could purchase a building at 342 Swanston St, but due to several factors were never able to inhabit it. Finally it was sold in 1954 and Junior Legacy Melbourne purchased 289-299 Swanston Street Melbourne (previously called Red Cross House) in 1956 from the Commonwealth Government and moved in after refurbishing it.
A record of the Market Street building that Legacy occupied for many years until 1956-7.
Colour slide of three ladies in the waiting room at Legacy House in Market Street in a yellow cardboard mount with piece of glass.
Inscriptions & markings
Handwritten 'Waiting room Legacy House. Painting of founder in background' in blue pen on the slide mount.