Historical information

The earliest building on the Walpole Street site was the Kew Athenaeum Hall (built 1860) which was purchased by Kew Council in 1865. The Town Hall was sold to Woolworth's and subsequently demolished in 1972 when the civic offices were transferred to a new building on the corner of Charles Street and Cotham Road.


This is the earliest known image of the old Kew Town Hall following the addition of the new facade in the 1880s.

Physical description

A print copy of a gelatin silver photograph of the former Kew Town Hall in Walpole Street, Kew. The photograph shows the neo-classical facade added to the former Atheneum building in the 1880s. The recessed doors in the entrance are now held by Trinity Grammar School. A man, probably Cr Edmund Marshall, is standing outside the entrance. Two gas lamps stand in front of the Hall.

Inscriptions & markings

Reverse in pencil: "Edmund Marshall Councillor 1887"