Historical information

When Hamilton Hume and William Hovell arrived at the bay in 1824 they met with the local Wautharong people who referred to the bay as "Jillong" and the surround land "Corayo", but by the time the area was surveyed in the late 1830s the Aboriginal names had been swapped. The names "Corayo" and "Jillong" had since been Anglicised to "Corio" and "Geelong".


Corio Bay is an important harbour and leisure location in the West and continues to attract development such as the new Tasmania Ferry Terminal.

Physical description

An Admiralty Chart of Geelong Harbour revised in 1954

Inscriptions & markings

Geelong Harbour Map Ref: 2731