Historical information

In the 1930s, the Studley Park Trust decided to cater for young children by constructing wading pools in the Studley Park Reserve where the Collins Bridge crosses into Kew. The earliest references to the pools in newspaper articles and letters to the editor appear in the late 1930s. The eventual closing date of the Studley Park Pools has not been discovered, but it was clearly still in existence in 1940 when a representative of the Trust described the facility as one of many public fixtures requiring regular maintenance.

Physical description

Black and white print positive of the former wading pools in the Studley Park Reserve (now Andrews Reserve) on the Kew side of the Collins Bridge. In the foreground adults are sitting on seats while small children play in the pools. The Abbotsford Convent is in the background.

Inscriptions & markings

Reverse: "Collins Bridge / Wading pools Collins Bridge"