Historical information

State School No. 3161 was originally situated between High Street (then Bulleen Road) and Kilby Road adjacent to Burke Road and was officially opened on 25th April 1892 with Mr Roland Gray as its Headmaster. With more people moving into the district, the School was moved in 1905 to Strathalbyn Street. (This site was to became the Kew East Bowling Club, and is now a Kindergarten.) 1929 saw the erection of the brick Infant School adjacent to the main building. In subsequent years many other buildings were added, including a weatherboard ‘Rural’ school, a brick library, an administration block, several portables, and a Community Music Centre and shelter sheds, culminating in the opening in March 2011 of the
Commonwealth funded new Music/Sports Complex. At one time it was called Kew East Central School and included years 7 & 8. When Kew High School started, the high school students were accommodated there whilst their buildings were being completed.

Physical description

Undated, original print positive of a co-educational class of students at Kew East State School. Margery Canham (nee Nickell) and the teacher, Miss Sybil North, are named in an inscription on the reverse of the mount.

Inscriptions & markings

"Kew East Primary School. Miss Sybil North teacher. Margery Canham (nee Nickell) 2nd row, 3rd right