A branch of the Australian Natives Association was opened in Bacchus Marsh in 1889.
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the place now called Victoria, and all First Peoples living and working on this land. We celebrate the history and contemporary creativity of the world’s oldest living culture and pay respect to Elders — past, present and future.
Please be aware that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain culturally sensitive material — images, voices and information provided by now deceased persons. Content also may include images and film of places that may cause sorrow.
Some material may contain terms that reflect authors’ views, or those of the period in which the item was written or recorded but may not be considered appropriate today. These views are not necessarily the views of Victorian Collections.
Users of this site should be aware that in many areas of Australia, reproduction of the names and photographs of deceased people is restricted during a period of mourning. The length of this time varies and is determined by the community.
Reuse of any Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander material on this site may require cultural clearances. Users are advised to contact the source organisation to discuss appropriate reuse.
Can you reuse this media without permission? No (with exceptions, see below)
All rights reserved
This media item is licensed under "All rights reserved". You cannot share (i.e. copy, distribute, transmit) or rework (i.e. alter, transform, build upon) this item, or use it for commercial purposes without the permission of the copyright owner. However, an exception can be made if your intended use meets the "fair dealing" criteria. Uses that meet this criteria include research or study; criticism or review; parody or satire; reporting news; enabling a person with a disability to access material; or professional advice by a lawyer, patent attorney, or trademark attorney.
Please acknowledge the item’s source, creator and title (where known)
Have a question? Contact Bacchus Marsh & District Historical Society
A branch of the Australian Natives Association was opened in Bacchus Marsh in 1889.
269 pages; 21 cm. With names and events index.
Historical and biographical articles relating to the town and district of Bacchus Marsh. First published in regular installments in the Bacchus Marsh Express newspaper during the years 1913 - 1917. Written by William Williams, headmaster of Bacchus Marsh State School. The articles were later published in book form in 1936 by Crisp and Sons, owners and publishers of the Bacchus Marsh Express. The publication also includes separate articles, 'Recollections' by Charles Hegarty; 'Bacchus Family History'; and 'Some Early History of Mount Blackwood' by Robert Lidgett. This edition was reproduced as a facsimile edition by Bacchus Marsh and District Historical Society in 2015. Printed by FRP Printing Pty Ltd.
bacchus marsh vic. history, pioneers biographies
This ring belonged to Captain William Henry Bacchus who was one of the first British colonists to establish a farming property on Wurundjeri and Wadawurrung First Nations people lands 55 kilometers west of Melbourne. The land occupied by Bacchus in 1838 came to be known by the early colonists as Bacchus’s Marsh before later changing officially to Bacchus Marsh. The ring is believed to have been made to commemorate the death of Captain Bacchus’s father Wm (William) Bacchus in Somerset, England in 1788.
This ring has significance because it is an object associated with a significant historical person in the history of the region of Bacchus Marsh. It is a rare, probably unique example of an 18th century mourning ring connected to the local community. It also has aesthetic value as an object and is in excellent condition.
Gold ring with blue and black coloured inlay. Contains writing on the outside
WM Bacchus Esq OB: 10th JUNE 1788 Æ: 38
bacchus family, rings, william henry bacchus 1782-1849
Bacchus Marsh by Bacchus Marsh is an anecdotal history of the town and district of Bacchus Marsh. It is a collection of memories of 49 residents recorded in oral history interviews and then adapted into a written record. Most of the interviewees had lived in Bacchus Marsh for many decades and are from a variety of occupations and backgrounds. The oldest interviewee was born in 1890 and the youngest was born in 1938. The interviews were conducted by Geoffrey Camm who then transcribed them and edited them for this publication. A black and white photographic portrait of each interviewee accompanies each chapter. The book includes maps and an index of individual and family names. Publication citation: Camm, Geoffrey, compiler, Bacchus Marsh by Bacchus Marsh: An anecdotal history, Bacchus Marsh, Vic. : Shire of Bacchus Marsh in conjunction with ; Melbourne: Hargreen Publishing, 1986. 392 pages.
bacchus marsh, bacchus marsh history, biographies, anecdotes
Paper book. Soft cover. A4 size.
A draft management plan for the Brisbane Ranges National Park published by the National Parks Service, Department of Natural Resources and Environment, Victoria, June, 1996.
national parks, brisbane ranges national park
Paper files in ring folders and lever arch folders. Arranged in A-Z sequence of topics.
Local history subject files relating to the township of Bacchus Marsh and its surrounding district. Files may contain replies to research inquiries, photocopies of published and unpublished material from books, newspapers, magazines, pamphlets, maps, archival sources and personal papers.. Other material includes printouts of website pages, and photocopies or printouts of images. Material compiled by members of Bacchus Marsh and District Historical Society.
local history, bacchus marsh
Thomas Kennedy aged 14 was awarded this medal in 1892 for the bravery he showed in rescuing members of his family from the flooded Werribee River on the 3rd August 1891. The Bacchus Marsh Express newspaper on for 30 July 1892, page 2, reported the awards ceremony with this description, 'Bronze medals of the Royal Humane Society of Australasia were awarded at the Melbourne Town Hall on Monday evening as follows: Thomas Kennedy, of Maddingley, near Bacchus Marsh, aged 14 years, for the risk he incurred in procuring assistance to rescue his father, mother, four brothers and sisters from being drowned during the flood of the Werribee River, on the 3rd August, 1891. He at daybreak swam across a strong current, and procured a boat, then rode a horse attached by a chain to the boat, and was returning thus to the house when he was washed off the horse, and with much difficulty rescued'.
Bronze medal with ribbon.
Obverse: Virtute Paratum; Reverse: Awarded to Thomas Kennedy 3rd Aug 1891, Royal Humane Society of Australasia, INSTD. A.D. 1874
medals, awards, floods 1891
Eva Pearce, 1888-1973, was a resident of Bacchus Marsh.
Handsewn velvet jacket. Black coloured with gold coloured button.
clothing and dress, eva pearce 1888-1973, pearce family
This radio set was designed and manufactured in Bacchus Marsh from 1946 and into the 1950s. In 1946 a local company Arbee Supply Co Pty Ltd acquired from Mr. R. C. Butler the business of wholesale and retail distributors of electrical goods carried on by him for some years at Bacchus Marsh. The company manufactured at Bacchus Marsh Marshman radio and electrical equipment for a number of years.
A relatively rare example of a locally designed and produced new consumer technology product.
Bakelite tabletop radio, small box, camel-coloured leatherette covered, glass front, three dials
In blue print "MARSHMAN MUSIC MASTER"
radios, manufacturing industries
Lifeguard Milk was a product name for milk sold by the Bacchus Marsh Dairymen's Co-operative Association and its subsidiary the Federal Milk company. In 1938 the Diaryman's co-operative began trading as the Lieguard Milk Company. This company was a major employer in Bacchus Marsh and was in business until the late 1960s.
Timber box used for packing condensed milk products for export.
Stow away from engine room and boilers: Lifeguuard Milk Products on long side. Export Lifeguard Sweetened Condensed Milk 48 x 14 OZ tins Made in Australia on narrow side.
dairying, milk factories, lifeguard milk company
Artist is not known. Comments recorded at the time of purchase are that it is possibly by 'Plimer'. Andrew Plimer, 1763-1837 and his brother Nathaniel Plimer, 1757-1828, were notable British miniaturist portrait painters.
William Henry Bacchus was one of the first British colonists to arrive in the Waddawurrung and Wurundjeri first nations peoples country 55 kilometers west of Melbourne in 1838. He established a large sheep property and built a notable large Georgian style home which still stands in the town of Bacchus Marsh today. From shortly after his arrival the area became known to the colonists as Bacchus's Marsh, and was later officiaslly named 'Bacchus Marsh' in his memory.
Small framed painting of William Henry Bacchus.
On the reverse is a label which reads: Captain William Henry Bacchus who arrived in the district of Bacchus Marsh early in 1838, was born in Suffolk, England, 1782, and died at Bacchus Marsh on 26 February 1849. His remains were interred in the graveyard of Holy Trinity Church which during his lifetime he had richly endowed with a gift of land. He was a Captain of the 2nd Royal Surrey Militia and formerly Captain of the 18th Light Dragoons.
bacchus family, william henry bacchus 1782-1849
Paper documents in ring and lever arch folders
Family History files relating to families and individuals from the township of Bacchus Marsh and its surrounding district. Files may contain family trees, replies to research inquiries, obituaries, biographical material, photocopies of published and unpublished material from books, newspapers, magazines, pamphlets, maps, archival sources and personal papers. Material may also include copies data from births, marriages, deaths, funeral, cemeteries and other genealogical registers and indexes. of Other material includes printouts of website pages, and photocopies or printouts of images. Arranged in A-Z sequence by family surname.
obituaries, funeral notices, death notices, births, marriages, cemetery records
118 pages, 23 cm.
William Bacchus was one of the first European colonists to live in the township which was later named after him. He arrived in land occupied by the Wurundjeri and Wadawurrung peoples in 1838 and established a large sheep farm. He died in 1849 and his son Henry Bacchus continued his farming interests in the district until his death in 1887. This work is a biographical portrait of William and Henry Bacchus and of the early European occupation in the Bacchus Marsh district. PUBLICATION DETAILS: Bacchus Marsh, Vic., Bacchus Marsh and District Historical Society Inc., 1973:
william bacchus, bacchus family, henry bacchus, bacchus marsh
This fob watch was presented to Constable John Redding by his friends at Bacchus Marsh and Myrniong in 1874. It is a symbol of the high regard in which some police officers were held in small rural communities.
Circular fob watch with silver surface.
MacFarlane & Sons, Melbourne; Presented to Mounted Constable John Redding as a token of esteem by a number of his friends at Myrniong & Bacchus Marsh 26th June 1874.
police officers, police stations
The Maddingley area of Bacchus Marsh was surveyed for brown coal deposits in the 1930s. By the early 1940s brown coal in large quantities was being extracted and was transported to Melbourne where it was used to fire boilers for the Australian Paper Mills (APM) company. By the 1970s APM was using natural gas instead of coal. Maddingley brown coal was then used to fire boilers for the CRA/VISY cardboard factory at Bacchus Marsh. This factory closed down in 1990. During the 1990s the mine was acquired by the Calleja family company who ran transport and waste management operations.
The Maddingley Brown coal mine was a major industry in Bacchus Marsh for 50 years. A sample of coal from the mine is a reminder of the importance of this local industry over an extended period of time.
Two cylindrical plastic containers mounted on rectangular base
Sample of pulverised brown coal produced from Maddingley brown coal deposit located at Bacchus Marsh Victoria, October 1981. Moisture content 12% - Specific energy - 22 GJ/Tonne - Particle size - 25% +90 Micron
coal mines, mining, brown coal, maddingley brown coal mine
A press used to create the official seal of the Bacchus Marsh Shire. Seals are used by public and private corporations and government entities to authenticate documents as official documents produced by that entity.
The press is evidence of the administrative and legal symbols of the former Bacchus Marsh Shire and the way documents were authenticated.
Metal press used for printing the Bacchus Marsh Shire seal
bacchus marsh shire council, seals (numismatics)
This wood fragment comes from a red gum tree which was planted in the Bacchus Marsh Primary School grounds in the 1860s. It was one of the first trees planted in the school ground in Lerderderg Street. For many years the school bell was hung from this tree. This practiced ceased about 1969 and some years later the tree had to be removed as it had become damaged. This wood fragment was saved from the 'bell tree' when this was done.
The wood fragment is an indicator of a once common, but now generally non-existent school practice of the ringing of a bell to communicate school commencement and finishing times during the school day. It has particular significance because Bacchus Marsh Primary School was the first government funded public primary school in Victoria.
Red Gum tree wood fragment
schools, bacchus marsh primary school
A military unit of the Victorian Volunteer Colonial military forces was formed in Bacchus Marsh in 1860. The unit was commonly called the Bacchus Marsh Troop but was more formally known as the Bacchus Marsh Prince of Wales Light Horse.
Foolscap size ledger book. Bound.
armed forces, bacchus marsh volunteer military troop, colonial military forces
Clothes wringer used in the James Young owned house known as the Stone Villa, Bennett Street, Bacchus Marsh. Wringers, also called mangles were used to squeeze water from washed clothes.
James Young was a prominent early resident of Bacchus Marsh from the 1850s until the 1870s. This object which was recovered from his house in Bennett Street is indicative of laundry equipment that many moderately affluent households would have owned in the 1860s.
Clothes wringer or clothes mangle. Wood and metal components.
Clothes Ace Wringer; Warranted 3 years for family use; Superior to Iron Clamps
james young, laundry equipment
A branch of the Australian Natives Association (A.N.A.) was founded in Bacchus Marsh in 1889. In December 1904 the foundation stone for an ANA hall in Main Street Bacchus Marsh was laid. The ceremony was attended by Mr James Purves one of the founders of the ANA in Victoria. A detailed report of the ceremony was reported in the Bacchus Marsh Express, 10 December, 1904, page 1.
At the top of the photograph, 'A Memento', At the bottom right side, 'Presented by Wm Mahoney Sept 1936'
australian natives association bacchus marsh, australian natives association hall bacchus marsh
In June 1903 some of the Friendly Societies in Bacchus Marsh formed an association to play Rope Quoits tournaments. The first tournament concluded after a series of matches in September 1903. The winners of the tournament were presented with a trophy in the form of an illuminated photographic portrait of the winning players. Reports of a Rope Quoits Association being formed for Friendly Societies members appeared in the Bacchus Marsh Express from 13 June 1903. Reports of the weekly tournaments subsequently appeared in the Express through June to September 1903. A detailed account of the final tournament and the illuminated photographic portrait presented to the winning players appeared in the Bacchus Marsh Express on 26 September, 1903, page 3, column 1.
This illuminated photographic portrait is significant because it depicts evidence of recreational activities and social groups which were active in the 1900s.
Framed photographic portraits of Bacchus Marsh Friendly Society members
Concord Tent No. 140 Friendly Societies Rope Quoit Tournament
bacchus marsh friendly societies, quoits, games
This framed certificate was presented to J. G. Boyes in recognition for his many years of membership and service to the Bacchus Marsh Lodge of the Grand United Order of Oddfellows. The certificate was presented at a social evening held at the Bacchus Marsh Mechanics Hall on Saturday 10 September 1938. The social was held to mark the 70th anniversary of the Bacchus Marsh Lodge for the Grand United Order of Oddfellows. A detailed report about the social appeared in the Bacchus Marsh Express, 17 September, 1938, page 5, ''Oddfellows Social', accessible via Trove, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article262579717 .
Large framed certificate. Glass covered.
Grand United Order of Oddfellows Friendly Society presented to Brother J. G. Boyes 10 September 1938.
grand united order of oddfellows friendly society, friendly societies, j.g. boyes, bacchus marsh lodge no. 1324
Robert Lidgett was a prominent resident of Bacchus Marsh in the early part of the 20th century.
Land sales advertising poster with map indicating specific lots of land for sale.
A land sales map and advertisement
important subdivisional sale of freehold land yaloak vale estate, land sales
Paper. 33cm x 21cm
In the later 19th century and early 20th centuries Thomas Cain was a major farmer in the Bacchus Marsh district and a significant participant in community life and affairs. The sale of some of his most significant properties towards the end of his life generated wide interest in Bacchus Marsh and beyond.
land sales, thomas cain, landholders
A4 softcover. Glossy front cover. Text and many illustrations.
soldiers, victoria, bacchus marsh, volunteers, 1914-1918 world war, community response, history, social, biographical, military, soldiers, volunteers
Victorian Collections acknowledges the Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the first inhabitants of the nation and the traditional custodians of the lands where we live, learn and work.