In 1927 the Duke and Duchess of York (later King George VI and Queen Elizabeth) visited Australia. The Port Melbourne Council established a Strong Post in St Kilda Road to welcome the royal couple.
Standing third and fourth from left Mrs CRICHTON, holding an Australian flag, and Cr J P CRICHTON. The tall man in centre of photograph looking at the camera is S S ANDERSON, Town Clerk. Second from right is Cr William HOWE, Mayor.
This is a proof version of the final photo also held in the PMHPS collection (293.02) where the oval inset of the royal couple has been swapped from the right hand upper corner in the proof to the upper left corner in final version.
Note that the price for copies of the photo is inscribed on the mount. 5/- for this (the large size) and 2/6 for a smaller size.
Sepia proof photograph in a cardboard mount of Port Melbourne Council Group in St Kilda Road awaiting the arrival of Duke and Duchess of York - 21 April, 1927. A oval photo of the royal couple is inset (pasted) in the top right corner.
Inscriptions & markings
"This size 5/- each, smaller size 2/6 each" in pencil on the top left corner of the mount. "PROOF" stamped on the right edge of the mount.