The SS Nairana was launched 1915 by William Denny & Brothers in Dumbarton Scotland the 3,402 ton steamer was requisitioned by the Royal Navy and served during WW1. In 1922 she was transferred to Tasmanian Steamers and, apart from again being requisitioned for war service in WW2, was used as a Bass Strait ferry until 1948. The Nairana was blown ashore onto Port Melbourne beach during a severe gale on 19 February 1951. After salvage what remained of the wreck was blown up in 1954.
B & W aerial photograph of SS Nairana and Port Melbourne foreshore