The first prototype of the Owen Gun was first developed by Evelyn Owen in 1931 and finalised the design in 1938.
The Owen was the only entirely Australian - designed and constructed service sub-machine gun of World War11
and was used by Australian Army from 1942 until 1971.
It was manufactured at Lysaght's works who built 45,000 units.
The cartridge was the 9x19 Parabellum - fired 700 rounds per minute and had an effective range of 125 yards.
The Owen was of significant advantage to the Australian Army in the jungles of Vietnam.
Owen Gun - sub-machine gun also known as the (Owen machine carbine).
Steel body and timber grip and butt.
Inscriptions & markings
WFM 0067 on top of barrel.