Boroondara Cemetery, established in 1858, is within an unusual triangular reserve bounded by High Street, Park Hill Road and Victoria Park, Kew. By the 1890s, the Boroondara Cemetery was a popular destination for visitors and locals admiring the beauty of the grounds and the splendid monuments. The Boroondara Cemetery is of historical significance for the graves, monuments and epitaphs of a number of individuals whose activities have played a major part in Australia's history. They include the Henty family, artists Louis Buvelot and Charles Nuttall, businessmen John Halfey and publisher David Syme, artist and diarist Georgiana McCrae, actress Nellie Stewart and architect and designer of the Boroondara and Melbourne General Cemeteries, Albert Purchas.
Walking tour led by Kew Historical Society members for members of the Royal Historical Society of Victoria in 1977. The photograph shows a Kew youth placing a sprig of Rosemary on Ellen Quick's grave. The photograph was one of six taken by KHS member Stewart West on that occasion, and subsequently donated by him to the collection by him.
Inscriptions & markings
Reverse: "Kew youth placing a sprig of rosemary on grave of Ellen Quick nee Derrick who was the first burial on 12/3/1859. Her family Derricks were early Kew Landowners."