Historical information

Dated 1886 on it's facade, the first listing in Sands & MacDougall Directories for O'Brien's Terrace does not occur until 1891. However, Mr A BROWN is noted as running his hairdressing business at this address from 1887. In 1896 Port Melbourne streets were renumbered and the address of his premises became 149 Bay Street. From that period it has been used as a hairdressing establishment by a number of people & companies. In 1901 the second in a series of hairdressers occupied the premises and the CODESPOTI brothers [see updated information below] continued the tradition when they took over the premises in 1985, naming their business, Bayside Barber Shop.

Update July 2024: Reza SABAHI, who currently operates as a barber from the same shop, contacted us with updated information. Domenic CODESPOTI was Tony CODESPOTI's father. Reza SABAHI took over the premises in September 2017 and operates it as Barbers of Port Melbourne proudly continuing the history of barbers at O'Brien's Terrace.

Physical description

A4 copy of poster for Bayside Barber Shop in O'BRIEN's Terrace, Port Melbourne