Historical information

Coat of Arms used by the Shire of Bacchus Marsh in the 1980s and 1990s. A coat of arms has been in use in the Shire at least from the early 20th century.
This earlier coat of arms described in 1910 featured two cows standing on two bales of lucerne hay, with lucerne fields and fruit trees and rolling hills all round a central valley with two rivers running through it. This early coat of arms was superseded by the slightly different design shown here. When this change took place is not known. When the Bacchus Marsh Shire amalgamated with other Shires to form Moorabool Shire in 1994 this design was superseded.


The plaque showing the Bacchus Marsh Shire Coat of Arms is in near perfect condition and as such is an excellent example of the physical symbols used to demonstrate the presence of local government in the Bacchus Marsh region. The images on the coat of arms also depict key economic and agricultural activities in the region which provides historical information about the region in a visual and artistic way.

Physical description

Painted cast bronze plaque with inscription on outer white band in black capital lettering: SHIRE OF BACCHUS MARSH. Inner circle painted blue with shield and decorative branches bearing yellow leaves on either side. Shield quartered and surmounted by stylised sunrise. In four quarters, representations of significant local primary and secondary industries.

Inscriptions & markings