George Henry Allen (8 February 1900 – 12 October 1972) was an Australian sculptor and teacher, an official war artist in the latter years of the Second World War. He served as an official war artist with the rank of lieutenant from December 1943, working at Port Moresby and the Australian War Memorial, retired February 1945. The plaque by George Allen on the exterior wall of the north side of Kew Library commemorating WW2 was funded by a bequest from the late Mrs Annie Anderson.
One of two black and white snapshots (polaroid photos) of George Allen's sculpture at Kew Library. Mavis Rolley wrote about the memorial in 1980 as: This impressive piece of Sculpture, a memorial to the sacrifice of those who served in the Second World War, was completed in 1960 to coincide with the One Hundred Centenary Year of the City of Kew, and was unveiled on Anzac Day of that year by the Hon. A.G. Rylah, Chief Secretary, Deputy Premier of Victoria. Mr. George Allen, sculptor, submitted the winning design and through the contribution of a generous bequest of the late Mrs. Annie Anderson, a former resident of Kew, the Municipal Office was able to commission this gentleman’s work. The memorial is mounted on a wall of granite blocks and carved in Sydney Freestone, depicting a scene of war and loved ones at home.