The Kew Bowling Club was formed in 1880 while the privately owned Auburn Heights Recreation Club was opened in 1904. By 1998, the two Clubs decided to amalgamate at the Auburn Heights site in Barkers Road, forming the Kew Heights Sports Club. The combined club was itself taken over by the Melbourne Cricket Club in 2012 becoming MCC Kew Sports Club. In 2017 MCC Kew closed and its landholding was subsequently sold to Carey Baptist Grammar School.
The combined collections of the four sporting clubs making up the collection number hundreds of items that are historically and socially significant to the development of Kew. They are also significant to the sporting history of the greater Melbourne area and to the sports of lawn bowls and tennis in Australia in the 19th and 20th centuries. The collections illuminate two of the Victorian Historic Themes - 'Building community life' through forming community organisations and 'Shaping cultural and creative life' by participating in sport and recreation'.
Kew Bowling Club : Skippers Average Trophy presented by S. R. Pritchard
Inscriptions & markings
Kew Bowling Club presented by S. R. Pritchard / Skippers Average won by: 1931–2 G.H. Cole; 1932–3 W. Stronach; 1933–4 D.S.M. Norris; 1934–5 F.H. Rigg; 1935–6 A.E.H. Phillipps; 1936–7 P. Vance; 1937–8 D.B. Ross; 1938–9 C.G. Wood; 1939–40 W.H. Tregear; 1940–1 H. Coleman.