Historical information

The current site of the Kew Recreation Centre in High Street Kew previously housed the Kew Depot on the corner of Disraeli Street. In nearby Derby Street, a number of original Victorian era buildings were gradually replaced due to development of the Baths precinct and commercial development.


This work forms part of the collection assembled by the historian Dorothy Rogers (1905-1973), donated to the Kew Historical Society by her son in 2015. The manuscripts, photographs, maps, and documents were sourced by her from both family and local collections or produced as references for her print publications. Many were directly used by Rogers in writing ‘Lovely Old Homes of Kew’ (1961) and 'A History of Kew' (1973), or the numerous articles on local history that she produced for suburban newspapers. Most of the photographs in the collection include detailed annotations in her hand. The Rogers Collection provides a comprehensive insight into the working habits of a historian from the 1960s to the 1970s.

Physical description

Small single fronted cottage in Derby Street, Kew. The weatherboard cottage has a block fronted facade, and a Victorian verandah with cast iron lace.