Historical information

The 'Jubilee History of Kew, Victoria, 1910' was written by FGA Barnard to celebrate 50 years since the founding of Kew. It is an early authoritative source on Kew's history. It includes a series of 'framed' photographs as illustrations.


This work forms part of the collection assembled by the historian Dorothy Rogers (1905-1973), donated to the Kew Historical Society by her son in 2015. The manuscripts, photographs, maps, and documents were sourced by her from both family and local collections or produced as references for her print publications. Many were directly used by Rogers in writing ‘Lovely Old Homes of Kew’ (1961) and 'A History of Kew' (1973), or the numerous articles on local history that she produced for suburban newspapers. Most of the photographs in the collection include detailed annotations in her hand. The Rogers Collection provides a comprehensive insight into the working habits of a historian from the 1960s to the 1970s.

Physical description

Photographic copy of a pair of photographs included in 'Jubilee History of Kew Victoria 1910" by FGA Barnard. The upper photo is of Barnard's pharmacy, which was in the 1870s the Kew Post Office. "The Block" was the name given to a series of Victorian shops in Cotham Road opposite the post office. These were later replaced by a row of Victorian two-storey Italianate shops.

Inscriptions & markings

Inscribed verso: "Barnard's Post Office on present P.O. Corner & Howieson's store (1st post office)"