Historical information

Carrum is a suburb in the City of Kingston bordered by the Patterson River in the north and Kananook Creek in the south. To the east the suburb is adjacent to Patterson Lakes. The Carrum Station was opened in 1882, when the railway line from Mordialloc was extended to Frankston. In the early 20th century, it was a destination for holidaymakers occupying tents and cabins. The area now consists of older housing and over time there have been many new housing developments.


Carrum is located in the area that was originally part of the Carrum Carrum Swamp. The district had originally been the home of the Bunerong people who fished, gathered food and found refuge in the sand dunes. The Swamp was drained in 1879 when the Patterson Cut was formed and became known as Patterson River. Apart from local farmers, fishermen and hotel-keepers, there were few permanent residents until the early 20th century when it had become popular as a beach resort. In the 1920s and 1930s the area became occupied by more permanent residents.

Physical description

Laminated aerial colour photograph of Carrum and Patterson Lakes in the City of Kingston. The photograph also includes Kananook Creek and the northern section of Seaford. Prominent features include Roy Dore Reserve, Carrum Primary School, Patterson River Secondary College, Keast Park Seaford, the Seaford Swamp Drain and a section of Downs Estate situated on the traditional lands of the Bunurong people.

Inscriptions & markings

Black type on white adhesive sticker: No. 7140
Black type of white adhesive sticker: 31-1-93
Black handwritten ink (marker): * [an asterisk]
Yellow circular adhesive sticker