Historical information

The St John of God Home for Disadvantaged Boys was located on Nepean Highway Chletenham, and was previously known as the Methodist Children's Home. It opened in approximately 1953 and was later demolished to make way for Southland Shopping Centre.


The Brothers of St John of God were a Catholic order that first arrived in Australia in 1947, establishing their first school for boys with learning difficulties. They soon acquired 20 acres in Cheltenham in 1953, which became home to 100 boys and young men who could no longer live with their families

Physical description

Black and white image of a demolition site where the St John of God Home for Disadvantaged Boys once stood. Buildings are visible behind the boys' home site, although also slated for demolition.

Inscriptions & markings

Black printed text on white round sticker on reverse: 231
Handwritten in red ink on reverse: 95%