Historical information

The Grand Order of Oddfellows was a friendly Society founded in Manchester in 1798. It began in Australia in 1844 with the first Victorian branch established in 1854. The first mention of the Eaglehawk group was in 1868.

Physical description

Small ceremonial apron for the "Grand United order of Odd Fellows" on white/cream silk cotton sateen with blue tape border. Centre to screen print main panel has large printed crest showing quartered shield (top left) hour glass (top right) crossed keys (bottom right) dove with olive branch (bottom left) Noah's Ark. In centre of shield is a right hand palm forward with heart symbol. Supporters to shield, woman left holding sword and scales next to seated lion, woman on right holding mirror and flaming torch next to seated sheep. In centre above the shield is a seated women with four children, one at breast. Banner at base of women and shield reads "Amicitia Amor et Veritas". Long tapes top left and top right corners. At base of print are two hands joined in a handshake in a panel surrounded by flowers.

Inscriptions & markings

In pen and ink on back "George Braysher"?