Photograph, Ryan's Corner Shop and Refreshment Rooms. 1923

Historical information

This building on the corner of Main and Gell Streets, comprised of two shops, a residence and sheds at the back, was built by Jeremiah Ryan in 1886-7. It became known as "Ryan's Corner". The first usage as mentioned in the Bacchus Marsh Express was as a jewellery in one shop and a fish and oyster shop combined with Watson's agency business in the other. Over the years, a variety of businesses operated in the two shops, including a barber shop, auctioneer and land agent premises, a hairdresser, solicitor's, costumiere, and bootmaker. Joseph Burbidge operated a greengrocery on this site for several years until the corner store was purchased in 1903 and became an ABC Cafe. Various businesses continued to operate on the site, with the neighbouring ABC cafe continuing in business with a number of different proprietors. The cafe was taken over by Miss Mary O'Donnell in 1922, assisted by Mr "Bill" Day, who became a business partner in 1924. In 1935, Miss O'Donnell sold her share of the business to Mr Day, who continued to operate the tea rooms with his wife. He remained the sole proprietor until his death in 1963. Because he was a well-known shop-keeper in the town over a period of forty years, his establishment became known locally as "Bill Day's Corner". In 1968 the building was demolished for the Commonwealth Bank, which continues to operate on this site.

Physical description

Black and white photograph mounted on brown cardboard. Photograph of M. O'Donnell A.B.C. Refreshment Rooms with a young woman and a gentleman standing outside on the footpath. They can be identified as Virgie McCusker and W.J "Bill" Day. The corner brick building has a corrugated iron roof with a verandah supported by pillars featuring wrought iron corners. The corner pediment bears the name : Ryan's Corner 1887. The space between the corner pillars has a large sign reading: Miss M. O'Donnell. A.B.C. Dining & Refreshment Rooms. Board & Residence. Motors Catered For. The front window has an advertising sign: Cadbury's Chocolate. A sign on the door reads: Luncheon Please. Items can be seen in the window. At the corner stands an ornate iron gas lamppost.

Inscriptions & markings

On the back: Handwritten: Corner Main & Gell Sts built by Jeremiah Ryan 1)Day. demolishe 19 (incomplete date) Site now Commonwealth Bank. C.B.A. opened 1963. Virgie McCusker, niece of Miss O'Donnell. 21/3/23.

References

Back to top