Historical information
This milk factory began milk processing in 1898. Prior to this it had operated as a butter factory since 1893. The building was a converted mill, known as the Border Flour Mill. For a time it traded as the Merrimu Butter and Concentrated Milk Company. Thomas Anderson who had operated the butter and milk factories sold the business at some stage. He then repurchased the building in 1912 and used it as a grain store. In 1933 the building became an apple packing shed and later still a store room. It was demolished in 1962. The location of the building was behind some shops and businesses on the southern side of Main Street, approximately in line with the Post Office and ANA buildings on the northern side of Main Street.
Physical description
Postcard. Image one side. Postage stamp, address and writing space on reverse. The precise date of this postcard is unknown. It is probably between about 1905 and 1910 due to the style of the postcard, this style being introduced in Australia in January 1905, and the known period of time this business was at this location.
Inscriptions & markings
On the reverse:
Top: POST CARD.
Left side: FOR INLAND POSTAGE ONLY THIS SPACE MAY NOW BE USED FOR INLAND COMMUNICATION.
Right side: THE ADDRESS ONLY TO BE WRITTEN HERE
References
- A CONCENTRATED MILK FACTORY. (1898, August 11). The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), p. 6. Article describing opening of new milk factory by Thomas Anderson in Bacchus Marsh.
- Bacchus Marsh: A Pictorial Chronicle by Gwyn Moore and Jean Oomes. Bacchus Marsh and District Historial Society publication, 1986. Page 54, 'Anderson's Milk Factory'.
